7.14.2011

July Birchbox!

I received my July Birchbox on Monday {July 11th} and anxiously tore into it at the first available opportunity. I wasn't disappointed! Keep reading to see what I found inside...

For those who don't know what Birchbox is, it's a sweet company/website where, according to the company, you pay $10/month to receive "a selection of 4-5 samples that [they've] tried (and retried) [themselves]. You'll receive anything from skincare to makeup to cult beauty tools, from well-known brands as well as emerging gems."
They also have been known to throw in a full-size product among the samples, which is awesome. For ten bucks, it's a genius idea and well worth it. Yes, you take a chance that you won't like all of the products, but even if you just look at the price of the full-size product alone, $10 is more than a bargain. And the purpose is even better: try out new products that you may not have purchased otherwise, and find some new favorites! To sweeten the deal even more, they include a coupon with your box that allows you to take 15% off the purchase price of any samples you decide to buy in full sizes {from their website}.

Onto the July box. This month, Birchbox partnered with fashion designer Cynthia Rowley to create their first-ever "curated" Birchbox. Some of the products in this box were chosen by Rowley, representing some of her favorite summer beauty picks. This partnership certainly sets the bar higher for future Birchboxes, so I can't wait to see what they come up with next. I wouldn't mind a Christian Louboutin-curated box...hehe. *smile*

:::  THE BIRCHBOX  :::



I received the following:

(1) KIND Fruit and Nut Almond and Apricot Bar
(1) AHAVA Mineral Hand Cream
(1) Zoya Nail Polish in Shay
(1) Philosophy Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser (1 oz.)
(1) Redken #02 Shine Flash Glistening Mist

:::  THE OPINIONS  :::

I had no intention of trying the almond and apricot bar — just not my kind of thing. So I can't offer any feedback on that one. I did try everything else, and my favorite is the Redken shine spray. I already use Philosophy's facial cleanser, and love it, so the little travel-size bottle will be used for exactly that: traveling. I'm not much of a hand cream person, as my hands have never been dry or in need of hand cream before {the same goes for my feet — I just lucked out with that I guess}. I tried some of the AHAVA cream anyway, but since I don't use that kind of stuff on a regular basis, I couldn't give you an informed opinion. Felt nice I guess. The Zoya nail polish was a nice little surprise. It's not a color I would have picked out for myself, but I gave it a chance and painted my nails that night, and I have to say, I really like it. I already knew Zoya created quality nail polish, and this color made a great neutral addition to my overwhelmingly pink/fuchsia collection. I'm glad it took me out of my pink comfort zone. Here's a really poor picture taken on my phone of the Zoya polish, with a Sally Hansen shine topcoat {which I love}. No, my hands aren't really red/purple in real life. Just a bad pic.





And of course, the Redken shine spray is fantastic. It gives my hair a nice glossy look without making it oily. It also smells decent, as opposed having an alcohol-based scent. I also use Bed Head's Headrush shine spray, and if I compare the two, I'd say Redken works better, but Bed Head smells better. I'll probably switch off between the two for a while until I pick a favorite. Especially after getting my hair chopped off last night, I'm on the lookout for new products to use on my new style.
Looking at all five products as a whole, and taking into consideration which ones I'll actually use, I think the $10 more than paid for itself. Plus, getting a "surprise" package in the mail every month is exciting in itself!

Overall I'd say the July Birchbox was a success.

Stay Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment