12.15.2011

Altered Ego Cosmetics: A Review/Swatches

Altered Ego Cosmetics can be found on Etsy, and offers loose eyeshadows and a few lip tints. I came across Altered Ego when doing some random browsing on Etsy, and placed two separate orders {details to follow}. At the time of my purchase, I didn't see many blog reviews for Altered Ego, though the few I did find were all positive. But, since the opinions overall were good, I felt comfortable ordering.

:::  THE SPECS  :::

Instead of selling the standard 5-gram jars as full-size products, Altered Ego sells 3-gram jars — at a lower price, of course. The smaller size and lower price makes everything more affordable, so I was able to place a decent-sized order each time. The 3-gram full-size jars are $2.95/each, and shipping is $2.50 for the first item {U.S. orders} and $0.50 for each additional item. International shipping is $5.00 per order. This, of course, doesn't take into consideration the fact that Altered Ego has numerous sets and deals going on throughout the year, often with free shipping attached. I received both orders quickly, within the stated TAT.

As far as placing two separate orders, here is the situation: I placed my first order, had absolutely no problems with it. In fact, the order was shipped to me even quicker than I expected. Apparently the owner, Tessa, felt that some of her orders were taking longer to process than she planned {mine not being one of them}, so she included a coupon in all of her outgoing orders for 40% OFF the customer's next order. I don't know the complete situation surrounding this generous offer, but I haven't read any reviews that mentioned anything negative about Altered Ego, so I can only assume that the gesture was made because of Tessa's own personal customer service standards, and not necessarily because anyone complained. Regardless, I thought it was a great offer to send out, and I even felt a little guilty redeeming it because I had no problems with my order. But there were a number of additional products I wanted to buy, so it went to good use.

So below there are pictures of my second order and how it was nicely packaged, and then swatches of shadows from both of the orders combined.

:::  THE PICTURES  :::

*Swatched over NYX Jumbo Pencil in Cottage Cheese. Click to enlarge photos.*

{The second order, all laid out. Close-up pic of the jar + sifter seal}
{Natural Light - L to R: Sharp Shooter, Hiccup, Bullet, Erica, Shudder, Flashbulb, Da Funk}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Photographed with a Flash}
{Flash - Close-up of Sharp Shooter, Hiccup and Bullet}
{Flash - Close-up of Erica, Shudder, Flashbulb and Da Funk}
{Flash - L to R: Sharp Shooter, Hiccup, Bullet, Erica, Shudder, Flashbulb and Da Funk}
{Natural Light - L to R: Aisling, Mylar, Lily, Helga, Aura, Nakee, Tornado}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Natural Light - Close-up}
{Photographed with a Flash}
{Flash - Another Angle}
{Flash - Aisling, Mylar, Lily}
{Flash - Helga, Aura, Nakee, Tornado}
{Flash - Yet another angle}

:::  THE OPINIONS  :::

The colors that I'm the most fond of are Aura, Nakee and Mylar. Mylar is my #1 favorite from Altered Ego, as I adore the multidimensional shifts from taupe to pink to gold, and even a purple shade, depending on the angle. So far I haven't been able to find a close match to Mylar in my existing collection, so I've deemed it a must-have for unique shadows. The products overall were very easy to work with; very blendable, buildable for opacity {though some colors are quite opaque to begin with}, and of course the price is very reasonable. While it's only a 3-gram jar instead of a 5-gram jar, she packs them full, prices them well and let's face it — I have so many jars of eyeshadow that even 3-gram jars will last me for-EVAR. So, to sum it all up: get some Altered Ego for your collection. :}

Stay Fabulous!

No comments:

Post a Comment